can't subscribe to Arlo cloud service

Due to repeated dog shit crimes against my property, I am having to set up CCTV in a place without wifi or mains power.  The place does have mobile reception.

I've bought several things in parallel.  The product quality in this sector is dire.  Things just don't work.


Arlo is a big brand, and some people I know use it.  The camera I bought do wifi, not mobile data, so the solar powered base station is set up separately.

I didn't realise when I forked out 400 GBP(2024) for these, that they don't work without a subscription to Arlo's cloud services.  All you can get without is basic alerts and live monitoring if you're on the same network.  You don't get access to any recordings, so it's useless.

You can't configure Arlo cams to communicate with your own server(s), so the cloud service is mandatory if you want them to work.

Supposedly cameras come with a trial subscription to the cloud service.  This is in your "receipt or email".  I bought from Amazon and don't have any info for a trial subscription. 

To get decent features you have to subscribe to "Arlow Secure", and this is paid a year in advance.  At this point I don't care.  I need to catch the dogshitter(s) in the act.  So I go to subscribe.  But I can't.  I get the blank page, depicted above.  Now I am not exactly some kind of master business man.  But even I can see that, instead of this page being blank, maybe it could have a link where you can BUY THE FUCKING SERVICE THAT YOUR HARDWARE PRODUCT WILL NOT EVEN WORK WITHOUT.

The three-lines menu doesn't contain any way of subscribing to the service.  The "Account Profile" section doesn't.  The "Arlo secure" section gives the same blank page.  "Buy add-ons and accessories" is just a link to their general shop web site.  I've tried searching to see where I go to subscribe, and it keeps taking me back to my logged-in account page, where I can't do it.

So I have 4 useless cameras that I can not even pay to use.

These products are defective.

Any product that claims to be a thing, but you have install an app and / or create an account before it will do its thing, is defective.  Imagine if your fridge wouldn't chill its interior unless you could cajole it into doing so with an "app", which requires an account, and an email verification.  FUCK OFF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

easyjet: repeated entry of information they already have

Guernsey Waste in incorrect bag-rejection horror May 6th, 2024