why is basic power management coupled with window manager?

The reason I haven't used my preferred window manager on my laptop for the last 20 years is that as soon as you choose a different window manager, all sorts of laptoppy things stop working.  Like closing the lid and having it suspend.

There is obviously no reason this should be so, other than poor software design.  But the behaviour has been basically the same on all linux for decades and decades.

I've just checked with fvwm on Debian 12, which is current.  I put my fvwm config there, log in, it's running.  I close the lid.  The red light on the X1 nano gen 2 is pulsing, indicating the laptop is asleep.  Maybe it's actually worked!  I open the  lid.  The screen is already on, too quick, must have been on the whole time.  So why was the indicator light indicating it was suspended? It brings back memories of overheating laptops in briefcases, where I thought it had suspended, and it hadn't.  I have been exactly here before.

It's silly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)