OEBB machine just stole 50 EUR from me

An OEBB machine just stole 50 EUR from me.

Here is the sequence of events from memory:

 * I selected the journey (Schwaz - Vienna) and it came to 86.40 EUR (Eurotards write this number as "86,40")

 * I decided to pay in cash

 * I inserted a 100 EUR note

 * it gave the note back and said on the screen that 50 EUR was the largest denomination accepted

 * I thought this was silly so I took a picture

 * I inserted a 50 EUR note

 * the amount still payable, displayed on the screen, was correctly reduced to 36.40 EUR

 * I inserted a second 50 EUR note

 * hilariously, this was now rejected, the maximum denomination having been reduced to 20 EUR, on account of the change being in coins, according to the message on the screen

 * I thought this was silly so I took another photo

 * I checked in my wallet.  I did have two twenties, so maybe able to finish off the payment with these, should the machine deign to let me.  Alternatively, it would fit the pattern if, after the 20, it then asked for 10 + 5 + 1 + .20 or so, but I doubted its silliness was that structured

 * but now the payment had timed out.  I chose the button to try again.  The amount remaining to pay had increased, to 86.40 EUR again, the original amount.  But the first 50 EUR note was not returned (and no coins or anything else).

 * this was very bad so I took a third photo

 * I briefly considered trying to smash up the machine, but decided against this

 * I paid by card instead

 * the machine still has my 50 EUR in cash

 * there was no one in the station to raise the issue with (nor is there ever), despite it being a district town

So now I have to call 05 17 17 25 if I want the money back.  It's not worth the time, of course.  The refund may not even cover the cost of the call while roaming.  So the most likely result is to allow this theft of 50 EUR by machine by OEBB, in a manner that simply wouldn't be allowed in-person.


1. The amount payable is 86.40 EUR (and max note accepted is 50 EUR)

2. The amount payable is now 36.40 EUR, correctly, but the max note now accepted is 20 EUR

3. On confirming I wanted to pay, after a (short) timeout had occurred, the amount payable is back up to 86.40 EUR, but no money is returned.  The machine has my 50.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

Guernsey Waste in incorrect bag-rejection horror May 6th, 2024