posting a book from a Rio post office

It took several attempts to find a Post Office.  In Rio, taxis are everywhere and cheap, but if you hail one and ask to go to a post office, you are unlikely to end up at a post office.  I tried three cabs before giving up.  The post office I found was hidden, so I walked past it a few times, and then found it.

There was a huge queue.  I was in the queue for around 50 minutes.

At the counter, the clerk entered the address.  I was sending a book, that I'd just finished reading, to my nationalist Scottish friend, so I had written "Scotland" for the country.  Last time, I accidentally put Wales instead of Scotland, and it did arrive, but this time I'm being less of a dick, so I put "Scotland".  Something isn't matching in the clerk's system.  I can't remember if they were looking up Edinburgh in a list of countries, or Scotland in a list of cities, but a category error of some sort was involved.  In the end, I had to write "UK" underneath, and that solved it.  Sorry, nationalist Scottish friend.

We looked at the tariff.  There followed a spirited debate, about which tariff applied, based on my package's contents.  A second member of staff became involved, on my side.  My ally's argument rested on the theory that a book is a document.  The argument's structure was identical with the one I'd be trying to use.  But my ally was able to express it persuasively, and in both Portuguese and English, and they carried the day.  I got the "documents" rate.

(update: the package arrived)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)