libreoffice / openoffice: setting print mode to landscape

One of the more hellish aspects of a life dedicated to banks' compliance processes is the rendering of CSV files into PDF, for submission.

One can imagine a command-line typesetter, that deterministically produces print (PDF) output from a given CSV, with options around information preservation, text size, paper orientation, etc.  I've not yet found such a thing, so I use the other obvious technique: open the CSV in a GUI spreadsheet, and, using the print-to-file function, "print" to the PDF.

I've encountered two issues with doing this.

Under some circumstances, some spreadsheet programs truncate individual fields, removing information.  This looks bad (aesthetics of the rendered-for-print item is very important to banks), and may prevent the quasi-judicial entity (bank) presuming to audit my life from completing their checks.

Under other circumstances, other spreadsheet programs split rows across multiple sheets.  Reconstructing the sheet from the printed matter then involves lining the right pages up against other pages.  This is silly.  Again, it casts a bad impression on the institution that is implicitly threatening to freeze my assets unless I can prove my assets are legit, the institution operating under a presumption of guilt.

It is certainly necessary to review the rendered PDF, to see how the data came out.

To help get complete rows on single pages, one often wants to orientate the printing into landscape mode.  In libreoffice (née OpenOffice), one might expect this to be under print -> Page Layout or maybe General.  It's not.  To do landscape printing (including PDF rendering) in libreoffice, in menus, do: format -> page -> page -> orientation: landscape.  Then print.

This reduced my Bitstamp history from 90 pages to 70 pages.  But the text was still pretty big.  Sadly, selecting all the cells and reducing the font size reduced the size on-screen, but not in the PDF.  I'd be interested to know how I can change the font size in libreoffice printing.  I know you can do transformations like 4-up pages, but I'm more interested in just reducing the font size.  But I've reached a limit on this particular piece of busy-work for today, so I guess I'm printing these 70 pages and giving them to the bank.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)