fitting image to page when printing in gimp

My name's Tom and I work full-time in compliance.  Not as an employment.  But banks and the like just keep giving me never-ending admin tasks, in order to have access to my own property.  I don't see how economic growth could be possible under such a regime, and suspect that it's not, but here we are.

One of the tasks of this kind of compliance officer is to print out screenshots, as banks love things on paper and in PDF format, which stands for "print digital format".  On Debian, not knowing better, I use GIMP for this.

A reasonable default when printing an image to an A4 sheet might be to set a margin around the sheet, and then fit the image to fit the sheet within this margin, whatever comes first, height or width, subject to orientation of the sheet and aspect ratio of the image.  Without going below some minimum resolution, maybe 100 dpi.

GIMP does not do that.  My screenshots, of xterms, were coming out tiny.  I looked up how to change it.  You have to go Image -> Print Size.  Even now, the dialog does not have "fit to sheet".  So you have to manually enter, say, 200 (mm) in width, to have something reasonable for A4 portrait.  The height does then update itself to keep the aspect ration, and so do the resolution fields.

On this here Debian gimp, the units are light grey on very-light grey, so almost illegible.  You have to squint and go up close to the screen, like one of them TikTok addicts on the train, or a crack addict.  Also, why the imperial units for dpi?  These pesky Merkins keep sneaking their units back in.  Does anyone use dots per mm? 

I would like my picture application to default to fitting the printed image to the sheet.
 
keywords: printing from gimp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)