TAP Portugal web site fails differently on chromium from how it fails on firefox

As part of my ongoing ordeal to buy a ticket from TAP, I tried chromium instead of firefox.

Though it's unlikely I "forgot" my password, since I carefully record the passwords for all retail sites systematically, and I have the record of recently having done so for flytap.com, it was possible that using the "Recover Password" function would restore access to my account, so I wanted to try it.

In firefox, this had previously brought up a new tab saying "javascript;" in the address bar, and nothing else.

Now, on chromium, which is basically the same as chrome, I go to the same "Recover Password" function, and enter my email address.  This time, the bug is completely different: the original page and the modal dialog are grayed out, and there is a little animation.  The animation bounces up and down.  It's a really great little animation.  First it's a plane, then it's a suitcase, then it's a globe, then it's a plane again, and so on.  And it keeps on bouncing up and down the whole time!  Someone has really put a lot of work into this animation.  What it doesn't do, is ever end.  It's been running in this tab for over half an hour, and it's still doing the same thing.  Theoretically, it could end at any moment, and we're on to the next stage of the account rescue.  But we all know it's stuck in an infinite loop.



At this point, I realise it's a Sunday, and we are dealing with Catholics.  I remember from the Catholic areas of Switzerland that no web sites work on Sundays.  This is due to a kind of Mechanical Turk effect.  Despite pretences, no web sites do things automatically, and no web sites keep on working by themselves.  Web sites that are supposed to do things require an IT staff to continually "fix" things, and respond to "incidents" where their shit stops working.  On average this happens every few hours.  So, by the end of the weekend, the web site is definitely broken.  As well as the IT staff, they usually need an admin staff to manually update spreadsheets, and perform by hand all the things they're pretending the web site does.  In some places, web sites on Sunday are much like web sites on other days, but in Catholic places, web sites on Sunday don't work, and customers shouldn't be trying such things on Sundays anyway.

So I may not be stuck in Brazil after all.  I just have to wait until 9:30 or so Monday morning, Portuguese time, and TAP's web site will probably be working again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)