Interactive Brokers have frozen 211,930.77 EUR of mine

The background is that I sold a few kilos of gold for CHF, and wanted it in EUR, so I used IB's forex to get it from CHF to EUR at good rates.  Simple right?  Well, it touches on the non-working financial system in several different places, so no, it's certainly not simple, it's an ordeal.  The particular section of the ordeal dealt with here is the seizure of my funds by IB.  The other major part of the ordeal so far is Sparkasse's Kafkaesque handling of giving permission for the EUR to land in their account, which is out of scope here.

Like so many things, the problem comes down to authentication.  

The general problem is that businesses are generally unable to authenticate their own customers, and this is a competence issue.  This is often accompanied by adhoc and incorrectly-designed processes to sort-of "authenticate" customers, outside what the customer was led to believe constitutes the normal authentication process.  

The specific problem is that Interactive Brokers are (wilfully) unable to authenticate me, their established customer.  This is accompanied by IB asking me to email a copy of my id to an email address, or we can't proceed.  By refusing to go along with their idiotic demand, I lose access to my 211k EUR.

On Nov 16, I described the difficult process for requesting the withdrawal in the first place at [0].  It's clear from this that IB are incompetent at authentication, and think that they're making things "more secure" by adding complications and obstacles.

[0]  <https://wibblement.blogspot.com/2021/11/ib-usability-repeated-authentications.html>

Yesterday, I went to look whether IB had completed their review and decided to release the funds.  I found the following message:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)