firefox just broke the things I was trying to do

Nothing says bad quality like a software system that has to update itself.

Firefox has just broken the thing I was trying to do, which was simply download a document from a bank, because instead of doing the thing I want to do, it wants to do the thing it wants to do, which is make a big hoo-ha about having updated itself.  Well done!


Sadly for me, firefox didn't bother to save the file it was going to save, because it got all distracted distracting me about its update.

And when I clicked on "Restart firefox" it disappeared.  I lost all my logged-in sessions, which was the state of the work I was carrying out.

How did we end up in a situation where a multimedia platform is the only way to access online banking, and, even on Linux (in this case Fedora), it randomly fails because it's updating itself.  (i) it shouldn't be updating itself, the user of Fedora should be controlling updates to all applications; and (ii) updating itself shouldn't break the thing the user is trying to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the persistent idiocy of "privileged ports" on Unix

google is giving more and more 500 errors

7 minute workout: a straightforward audio recording (and two broken google web sites)